Marc Godfrey Animator

Monday 27 May 2013

How to Animate a Car...

Well, I'm not expert to assume that I can teach someone how to animate a vehicle...but I did a car this week...it's not bad.

The toughest part for me, was to work out where to put the squash the stretch. Although it's a solid object, you still need to add performance elements to give the overall piece some flow.

The car rig is a nice little piece of kit - it came with a good squash functionality, as well as being able to lift up the bonnet and boot...very nice touches!

I used reference from the gazillion clips that are on youtube, of cars screeching doing stunts and 180 slide turns.

There are still a few tweeks here and there that I want to do to it...but for now, it's not that bad. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. I think that the car should not come to a full stop while it changes direction but rather gives the appearance of a slow slide before it speeds off in it's new direction. If the idea is to escape then why stop ? Just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark! I like your thinking. I based the animation on some reference footage of a car, doing the same thing. It didn't really just come out of my head - I've been taught always to find references, so you have an accurate way of capturing the animation.

    I know what you mean though, about the car not coming to a complete halt. Although, by doing so, I was able to add in a nice squash and stretch to the car taking off - once that engine got into full throttle. Not sure that would work so effectively if the car didn't come to some sort of stop or pause :)

    ReplyDelete